Tuesday, March 20, 2007

March Madness Week 1 React

Spring Break is over and the dust has settled from the first week of battle with a mere 16 teams remaining from a field of 64. Never failing to mix up the sporting world, this year's tournament failed to produce in many of those upsets that were "supposed" to happen and threw in a few nobodies to further infuriate the supposed experts out there. Besides that vague introduction, I really don't have much insight to last weeks action and I really feel like someone who actually got a chance to watch these games should be writing this. Taylor!

The few first round stories that I did manage to witness included the complete collapse of my upset pick Illinois and a Texas game that was a little less than engaging. I got hold of the rest of the scores through the morning paper, which confirmed the fact that I can't put a bracket together to save my life. Once again, I'm at the bottom of the totem pole. My year is coming, I just know it; the question is whether I put money into it?

Apparently Wisconsin was a week 2 seed and Ohio State got away with one, but all I know is that the Aggies still don't look good enough to make it to Atlanta. They are a solid team that has one some big wins and beat what was essentially a home team in Lexington (Why does that matter again?) but they still don't seem to have that championship substance. Who knows, they may be just lurking right now. I continue to demonstrate that I know nothing.

I do know that Texas looked just plain flat against Southern California and the Trojans coach did a great job in preparing for this high caliber team. With our non-existent bench, he blanketed our scorers and forced the rest of the team to step up. He got lucky, cause for once, nobody did. It's the clear question of what's wrong with DJ? Surprise, surprise, he looks like a Freshman. He is much like Tony Parker for the Spurs; when he's hot the team cruises, but when he's out of it the team can still pull it out, but there's something obviously wrong. The other blaring weakness in the Texas squad is there lack of presence down low. USC scored in the paint at will throughout the game and the constant hack jobs really impeded any attempt at a comeback. I'm ready to say goodbye and good luck to Kevin and simply dream for next year.

Bracket Rankings through 2nd round
I've given up on my sorry excuse for a bracket, but we have a tight race at the top. For everyone out there that didn't bother to fill one out... No soup for you!

53 Jake H
52 Taylor
51 Jonny
48 Ruben
48 Jessica
45 Stan
45 Steph
43 Lindsey
42 Baker
41 Sammy
38 Troy
35 Lydia
31 Brian

Let's just see how many Cinderellas can hold out in these next two rounds.

1 comment:

Brian said...

You're right, little multiplication error on my part.