Friday, January 12, 2007

Brian's Playoff Picks

Welcome all to the new and improved SW Sports Report. Contrary to the introduction presented by Sean below, I'd like to see this site become a community of sports lovers, all throwing in their own opinions and predictions. We'll see how this works out.

Now for the good stuff. I'm liking how this year's playoff race is shaping up. With the exception of the Patriots, I could root for any team right now; these storylines and matchups are looking to make a great run to Miami. But I have to say, I've never seen the AFC games so top-heavy and so hard to pick. I'm having a hard time seeing any NFC team getting past these 4 remaining powerhouses from the American Conference.

It's hard to find a hotter team right now then Brian Westbrook and the Eagles. I really like this team, especially with Jeff Garcia at the helm. This is a scrappy team with a lot of heart, but I think their thinness will catch up with them. You can only go so far with the amount of injuries Philly has racked up this year and lets not forget the momentum Drew Brees and the Saints have built up. It will be close for a few quarters, but N.O.'s potent offense will pull away. I'm seeing Deuce McAllister having a big game. 27-16

My gameplan for the Bears is to keep Rex Grossman on the sideline all day. Don't even risk him throwing 30 rows up. I don't care if Seattle's secondary is hurting, have a tightend hand the ball off every time. Just run; give that offensive coordinator a sick day and run it up the gut. Let that defense make the plays. The weather will contain Hasselbeck and Alexander is far from 100%. Devin Hester seals it with a big runback late. 13-9

I bought a DVD of the history of the Colts for my dad for Christmas. He grew up in the northeast with Johnny Unitas as his hero. He jokingly remarked that this weeks matchup of the Colts and Ravens will result in a Baltimore win regardless of the outcome. The Ravens have been the dark horse all year and I'd like to see Steve McNair recapture his old playoff form and I know that that defense will come ready to play. But, I just don't know how Manning and that Colt offense will perform. He's more than capable of picking through the secondary, but its the Colts and its the postseason. I see an Indy flop. 31-10

I hate this game so much; simple reasoning takes LT and the Chargers to roll, but as much as I hate the Pats, I see them scrapping past San Diego. The Chargers have so many weapons and a defense that will give Tom Brady problems, but the tandem of Cory Dillon and Lawrence Maroney can stabilize a strong passing attack. The Pat's are a shell of their former selves, but Belichick and Co. have crept below the radar this season and they always seem to save their best for January. I've sided for the Chargers this entire week purely due to the fact that I hate New England and want their dynasty to end. But so much about this game scares me and the stat that finally changed my pick is that this will be Phillip Rivers' first playoff game and against that stingy Pat defense, I think he's going to break down, placing the burden solely onto LT's shoulders and I honestly don't think he can carry them. The keys are using Antonio Gates and and a lot of looks for Tomlinson. New England is, for once, without an experienced kicker, which could be a difference maker. I would be overjoyed to be wrong in this one, but I see Brady pulling it out. 31-27

If you could possibly want more of my football musings, check out my ode to this past football season on my own blog.

2 comments:

Matt L. said...

I can help, but I need access...

Brian said...

I'm on it.